Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Friday Update...No wait its Wednesday already!

Memorial Weekend interrupted my normal Friday posting and we took an extra day off which puts me now mid week.

Memorial Weekend update:

Annual family branding weekend at mother-in-law's ranch.
53 calves branded -
I'm still the queen of breakfast.
Didn't have to "push" calves this year, as SD's best bud came up to help. He brought his two little ones with him, so for most of the day I was kid watcher over 6 kids {two 9 year old twin girls, one 5 almost 6 year old (mine), one 2 4 almost 5 year olds, one just turned 4 year old - 3 girls and 3 boys} one with off and on help from one of their aunts and grandma. They all behaved well and got along great. We all had fun!

While in the area I went down to our "weekend" home in Tucumcari and painted. - two rooms to go!

Also had an interview for a teaching position... don't ask how I did, I really don't know. Talk about fish out of water - we'll see how well I swam in a few weeks.

Triathlon related items: Still haven't signed up for the Bottomless yet. I have my reasons, they are silly - but silly or not they area sabotaging my efforts to register for the dumb race.

I've lost a lot of ground, and although I'm trying my best to "start over" I'm having difficulty accepting my lost ground. So part of me does not want to do a race I've done before because I will inevitably compare the results and I don't want to be disappointed in myself. I'm a perfectionist, I'm competitive - especially with myself.

For example, there is a big hill right at the beginning of the bike leg. It took a lot for me to crank it up that hill last year, but I did it. I'm not sure I can do it yet. Currently my average mph on my rides has dropped at least 2 mph from my mph this time last year. I've been trying to write it off as wind - as it has been windier than usual (or so it seems) this year, but my last ride it was dead calm and my average mph only inched up 0.8 mph from my previous windy rides. I'm not even going to talk about my running - yuck.

So pick a race you haven't done before you say. I've thought about it except last year we made the whole weekend a fun, family camping trip with lots of swimming and playing in the sand and napping and fishing and just having a fun time together - the family is sort of looking forward to doing it again.

I will eventually sign up because:

a) the family needs an excuse to have a fun weekend, lately we've been just work, work, work. If I sign up for the race - that weekend is taken and we might as well pack up the camping gear and our swimming trunks and make it a weekend.

b) regardless if that hill wins or loses, whether I walk or run, I need to commit to something so I have a goal to train to, followed by the finish line that motivates me for the next race.

Have I talked you in to it yet?

4 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

You should do the MilkMan as a warmup. There's ice creme afterwards for participants and their families. Can you hear it? Can you hear the ice creme calling you? It's in 2 weeks, by the way, and I think there's camping nearby.

jbmmommy said...

Get signed up, you can do it! You've got to start some time, sounds like now is good. Glad you enjoyed the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Yep, for me, I can keep up with running on my own, but I have to have a race on the calendar to keep up with my biking and swimming.

Sign up girl...you know you want to ;)

Unknown said...

If you're anything like me, it takes having an event on the calendar to keep training motivation going.

For example, I'm not doing any triathlons until the latter part of the season this year. As a result, my swimming is way down.

So, I think you should sign up for Bottomless and make it happen!