This is becoming one of those weeks where I find myself questioning my sanity. This is week 3 of my 12 week training quest to the Fat Tire Tri in late August. It is supposed to be the hard week, and it is but not because of the reasons its supposed to - understand. I had to take a break from running, but got the okay yesterday to start back again slowly, so in the meantime I've filled in those running days with more biking. I intended to fill in with more swimming, but that hasn't happened thanks to the community friendly pool in Artesia - not. But discovered that the "beach" in Carlsbad may work out for me better than I though, so that will help with my open water training... but I digress.
Last night was supposed to be my key swim with my main set being 5 - 200 with a 60sec recovering between. I haven't been in the pool as much as I've liked due work and the community unfriendly pool deciding to close without calling me to consult. Though I did have a fairly good swim in Lake Carlsbad last week, but last night sucked. I did 350 of warmup drills, then started my first 200 and felt like I was dying the entire time. Asking myself at every turn "why am I doing this again? I could be home with my babies and my hubby eating chocolate chip cookies and watching the game." So I recovered the 60 seconds and starting into 200 no. 2 and stopped after 50 because I felt so tired. Decided to scrap the main set and work on technique.
Then this morning was a 60 minute ride. I actually increased my average speed a bit, but felt so exhausted when I got off. Again wondering why I got up at 4:30am to do this to myself. Why am I feeling so exhausted? During my ride this morning I came up with a list of factors:
1. Sleep deprived - If I'm lucky I get 6.5 hours a night. Well Sunday and Monday my youngest kept waking up for no apparent reason. I'd wake up with a start as I heard him whisper "mom". Both nights took him back to his bed after getting him something to drink. Then last night it was hubby that woke up and needed something...
2. Nutrition - I've been eating like crap all week - having these sugar cravings, chocolate chip cookies...
3. I've been real consitent the last 3 weeks with my weight training. Tuesday morning was lower body, maybe I'm going to have to change my schedule to get the weight training away from my swim days. Ugg I have the perfect schedule - don't really want to mess around with it...
4. Work is really negative right now. Boss is negative and it is spreading throughout the office. I've been dreading going to work, which is a good indicator that things in the office are not good, cause I like my job.
5. Its just one of those weeks.
Its probably a combination of all of that. I've just got to suck it up and get through the rest of the week. Next week is a recovery week, and I can start adding running back into the mix - not that I like running, but it is part of the crazy triangle of endurance. I've got this line of an old Waylan Jennings song running through my head, "I know I'm crazy, but it keeps me from going insane."
Also I just read a couple of cool posts in the trifuel.com forum about a mom and a son and their triathlon bond. http://www.trifuel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5890 and http://www.trifuel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5915
I'm inspired to keep on keeping on.