Saturday, August 04, 2007

Longest Distance Ever, for me...

Friday night I completed my 90 minute run. The goal of this run was to run for 90 minutes in zone 2. I was not nervous about this run, didn't put any real thought into it other than to strategize for hydration.


I parked my car at the intersection of two county roads. I have distances marked out in 3 directions of the intersection - not that a particular distance was a goal or anything, because I'm focusing on time and heart rate. I have an Amphipod hydration belt with just two 10 oz bottles. I need to get some additional bottles, especially for the F-1. I also have one Nathan Water bottle with gripper, and various other plain old water bottles. The plan was to wear the belt the whole time, because it has a pouch to carry stuff like my phone and my MP3 player which is on the blitz, and fuel. I hate carrying stuff in my hands when I run, so I decided to do the first leg with the Nathan, then chuck it at the car when I go by, then for the final leg - the shortest - I'd grab my final water bottle. I had Clif Bloks in my pouch, along with a few Sports Beans, one 10 oz bottle of Blue Accelerade and everything else water.


First leg was 2 miles out and back, second leg was my familiar 3.2 mile out and back, and the final leg was a 1 mile out and back. My not really focusing on goal was to run 6 miles. The good news, I completed 90 minutes of running albeit slow, and I maintained a zone 2 heart rate. The bad news is that my feet, my lower legs, my butt, and the hips, and my back hurt. The cool news is that not only did I meet my unspoken goal of 6 miles, but I actually ran 6.2 miles plus 4 power poles (measured later to be about .3 miles) for a total of approximately 6.5 miles. I have to say that the first hour was not too bad, but that last half hour was tough because the above mentioned parts where protesting rather loudly - especially my feet. Today is my rest day, tomorrow is a 2 hour ride, but I fear that my husband who's out of town will most likely not return in time - oh well. (Edited later - he did get back in time for me to get 1 hour in before it got too dark.) I'm scheduled to do it all again next week, we'll see if I get to go swimming... stupid pool - they have no consideration for my training schedule - Jeesh!

2 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Yay! Outstanding! So will I be seeing you at the new Elephan Butte Olympic triathlon this year? Or the Buffman and Squeaky next year? Huh? huh?

Unknown said...

Good job!! Not only running, but on planning your hydration so well.

I just recently got a hydration belt that holds 28oz total and am wondering how I ever survived in the past without it.