Sunday, February 18, 2007

Headed to Alpine, Texas?

Okay so I made this really cool training schedule to get me to the Sul Ross State University Triathlon in March. Although it looks impressive on the spreadsheet, due to the blue plague, other viral disturbances, and the overall yuckiness of winter I haven't been following it that well, but I still was looking forward to participating in the event. Then SD scheduled a fishing trip to Lake Amistad for the same weekend.

He was apologetic and was willing to try and reschedule, but I decided that as supportive as he's been in my endeavors that he was owed this trip at the very least. I was bummed, and have been trying to decided on another event. Meanwhile I've slipped a little more from the training schedule.

This morning I voiced my overall bummedness to him " I really was looking forward to going to Alpine on the 25th." "25th, of March?" He asked. "Yeah the same weekend your headed to Amistad," I replied. "No I'm going the last weekend in march the 29th, 30th, 31st and 1st of April. The triathlon is on the 25th?" He asked. "Yeah," I said wondering how we got our wires crossed. "Then you can still go!" - Oh crap I thought - I can still go but I've only got 5 weeks to get my act together and get ready. Yeah - I think.

The Course Distances: 3.1 mile run, 15 mile bike, 360 yard swim. So what to concentrate on? The Course Description: "A rolling course run with a few rises or small hills interspersed through beautiful Sul Ross campus and adjacent campus community. Bike will be out and back course on Highway 90 where a personal best is possible. The swim will take place at the Sul Ross Pool, a heated indoor facility."

The swim is a no brainer. The bike sounds flat, but I haven't been outside on two wheels since December, and the windy season has already showed its ugly head around here. The run sounds like hill work may be prudent. Anyone out there have anything to share about this course? Anyone out there planning on going?

Okay blue plague, lingering sinus type viruses and father winter - give me a break. I need to make my spreadsheet proud or at least myself happy by check marking stuff.

On another note - I'm thinking about working on my overall diet. Not diet in the since of restricting calories, but diet in the since of overall nutrition. The catch is that I'm not going to become Vegan - I'm a rancher's wife - nuff said. Chicken is more of an occasional change in pace, but obviously (rancher's wife) beef is the main course most nights. I must also inform you that the beef we consume is directly off of the range. Meaning that it is very lean. No standing around in a feed lot getting fattened up for the grocery stores. I haven't bought beef in a store in at least 10 years. Anyway another item - is that I live in small town America. Walmart is basically the only choice as far as grocery shopping - there is an Albersons where I get my fresh fruit and veggies from time to time. Final point - I don't have a lot of time. If you've read my blog at all you know that I really don't have time to cook anything extravagant. Got any ideas? I keep potatoes out of the house because they are a huge source of empty carbs and I love them too much. I use olive oil spray a lot. Fresh fruit more than fresh veggies, but again that is thanks to Walmart whose produce in my experience is inferior and doesn't last very long. Frozen veggies over canned usually. Try to buy and consume whole grain wheat. I feel like I'm setting myself up for some lectures, but I'm willing to listen - as maybe I can glean some good info or maybe some recipes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, like to run, you missed the Big Bend 50! Maybe next year. For more details, check out www.bigbendchat.com


---------------------------------------------
NOTE: I receive NO financial consideration,
renumeration, or special consideration from
this shameless publicity!
-------------------------------------------
Become a Big Bend (BIBE) Supporter by
purchasing State of Texas Speciality plates
@ http://tinyurl.com/y4zow9 and for your
motorcycle @ http://tinyurl.com/yxmss9
Of the $30 fee, $22 goes directly to the
Friends of Big Bend in support of their
mission of BIBE.
---------------------------------------------
Please join the Friends of Big Bend by
direct membership @
http://www.bigbendfriends.org/membershipform.html
---------------------------------------------
Need books and maps of BIBE - then be sure and check out
http://www.bigbendbookstore.org/
and consider becoming a member of the BBNHA
Big Bend Natural History Association @
http://www.bigbendbookstore.org/members.html
--------------------------------------------
Want to take a virtual tour of Big Bend to
see what you are missing, then be sure and
visit www.virtualbigbend.com and also see
what everyone is having to say about the
West Texas Trans Pecos Big Bend Region @
www.bigbendchat.com
---------------------------------------------
How about a Big Bend coffee mug, t-shirt,
or hat. They are all the rage now and can
be purchased on-line safely and securely @
http://www.cafepress.com/virtualbigbend
Your purchases help support
www.virtualbigbend and www.bigbendchat
and keep them "free" from membership dues.
---------------------------------------------
shanea@sfajacks.com
---------------------------------------------

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I skipped this course last year because they didn't have Athena divisions, so I can't help. I'll see you there, though. It will be the kick off to my spring break. I know one of the event coordinators; I'll email her and get the scoop!

sharon said...

I'll share with you my 2 favorite easy to fix healthy meals.
I buy at Sam's club - maybe you can get them at Walmart - a bag of Atlantic Blackened Seasoned Salmon Fillets. They are frozen and individually wrapped. I'll thaw while still in the bag in a pan of warm water while I'm in the shower after a long bike ride. Cook on the grill for 5 min. each side (or oven bake for 20 min I think). I don't particulary care for salmon but I like these because they are blackened and not real fishy tasting. I'll usually put this over a bed of romaine lettuce with maybe some feta cheese and mandarine oranges (canned) with balsamic dressing and tomatoes if I have them.
Meal # 2. I always have on hand Healthy Choice Whole Wheat pasta. While this is boiling if I have some premarinated shrimp in the freezer I'll stir fry some to add to the pasta (shrimp scampi works well) and get out the frozen broccoli and heat in the microwave for 5 min also to throw in. I'll throw all this together with either some pesto sauce or just simply italian dressing. Chicken would work well too instead of shrimp. Sometimes if I have no shrimp/chicken or broccoli I'll just have the pasta with italian dressing and maybe some red wine vinegar and I'm good with just that too, but I think it's better to get some protein in there.
Good luck on your race, can't wait to hear about it.

Unknown said...

I haven't forgotten about sending you some recipes, I've been too sick to do much of anything, but I'm on the mend. Hopefully, I'll send some soon.